This is not about SMTP or POP or IMAP or STFU. This is about how I propose people should deal with emails:
- Your inbox is your to-do list. Everything that comes in should be viewed as a task that needs to be completed.
- A task is completed if:
- it doesn’t require a response (ex: a message that just says “thanks” or a mass mailing)
- you have responded to it, and you know that you’re responding to the right person
- Otherwise, the task is not completed, and it must fester in your inbox like a thorn in your side until you have dealt with it!
- Once a task is completed, it should be archived, or moved to a “trash” folder. (not deleted.)
- Your inbox should not be larger than, say, 30 emails. If there are more than about 30, you will lose track of some of them.
- Every day, you should read over your inbox and make sure that you’re not holding anyone else up by not replying to these emails.
blog 2023 2022 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010